Dec 14, 2011

Felt Scraps Garland

Don't you just love it when a project comes together from little leftover scraps around the house?
It thrills me! 
It feels so good to use up that last little bit of leftover felt or fabric so I don't have to go through the agony of throwing it away.

And this little garland is just the perfect solution to my scrap hoarding problem.


I braided a long rope out of some old brown string I had stuck away in my sewing closet for far too long.  You could use any thick ribbon or cord, this is just what I had on hand, so it is what I used!  My braid ended up being about 4 feet long.

Using various shades of green felt scraps, I cut out a whole bunch of leaves.  No need to get too picky and trace them all out first, I just free handed mine and they turned out just fine.


Using a needle and thread I randomly stitched the felt leaves to my braided rope.  You could use hot glue for this if you wanted to take the no-sew route, no big deal.  Sometimes I overlapped the leaves, sometimes I stitched them all by their lonesome, I added them jutting out in different directions...whatever you like, go with it.


After digging around in my stash of buttons, I found a couple of handfuls of red buttons and stitched those on as well.


And, bum ba da bah, I'm finished!  Simple and quick and festive and just what I wanted!


Thanks for stopping in!  Be sure to come back on the weekend for the Head to Head Showdown link party!

Be blessed,

I'll be linking up to a few of these fine link parties:



12 comments:

Christina said...

I absolutely love this!

Artsy VaVa said...

I love this garland!!! Pinning it!

D @ The Shady Porch said...

Great idea! I'm kinda kicking myself for all the red and green scraps I've thrown away recently. Wonderful resourcefulness and it turned out so bright and cheery! Thanks for sharing!

Craftberry Bush said...

So cute! I love working with felt ! You did a great job...Merry Christmas ...xo

adventuresindinner said...

What a beautiful garland and especially nice that with your tutorial you could change the colours to fit your theme so easily.

Thank-you so much for joining up to our Pin'Inspiration Thursday Party. You have helped to make it a real success!

Happy follower, would love if you popped by and grabbed a button :-)

Kim said...

I love using up scraps too! This is very merry and bright.

Lish said...

I've recently feel in love with felt!!!! This is great, so simple and classic! Love it!Here's what I did with felt this Christmas...
http://imprintalish.blogspot.com/2011/11/felt-photo-holder-ornament.html

h. rae said...

Wow! How cute is that! You're good, Jen! I just saw an amazing handmade garland in a store today that I think I'm going to try. It's not necessarily for Christmas, either. It's just stunning. I hope it makes it onto M-I-Y Monday in the coming months.

Thanks for linking up!

Jennifer @ The Brilliant Crafty Type said...

So sweet, it warms my heart. There are always so many felt and fabric scraps lying around. This would be such a fun and beautiful project! Thanks for sharing!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that garland is just adorable! i love it!

Lindsi B said...

oooooh that is AWESOME! I love that you used scraps to create something so amazing and festive! We'd love for you to share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-4-3-weeks-long-for.html

Alyssa said...

So cute! I will have to get this made, perfect to sew while watching xmas movies.